So you want to be an actor?

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Next Best Thing

So it turns out that I did get an opportunity to do some stand-in work after all (That link to the stand-in definition is for my Mom who had some trouble understanding the concept).

On Tuesday, I was asked to come in and replace the regular stand-in who was unavailable (I guess that actually makes me the stand-in's stand-in). Since being a stand-in is a great way to get to know the director and other key players on a production and it pays a fairly decent wage, I said yes.

I was on set from 2:30pm until 5:00am the next day and I loved every minute of it. People often ask me how I can deal with crazy hours and last minute call-times like that. I often find that question strange. When you love what you are doing, when there is no where else in the world you would rather be at that very moment, who cares then what time of day/night they ask you to be there? I'd drop almost everything in an instant to get that opportunity again. And if you ask me, I wasn't there for nearly long enough. In my humble opinion, being a stand-in really was the next best thing to being an actor on set (not that I would really know what that's like, but I have had many opportunities to observe). Everyone was incredibly kind and welcoming. I really feel like I've made some important connections for the (hopefully near) futur. Plus, the fact that I was on set for more than 8 hours means I get overtime pay as well. Can't argue with that.

Now if I can only keep this positive feeling in mind for the next couple of weeks, I should be golden.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home