So you want to be an actor?

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Dog Poop Audition

Is it a good omen or a bad one if a dog takes a dump next to you while you're prepping for an audition?

No, I'm not talking about Dexter. As I was sitting on the floor upstairs at the Arts Court, someone from the adjoining dance space had let out their little dog. The little doggy (no clue what kind, sorry) came up to me and started sniffing my pants, probably judging if the Dexter smell posed any threat. It obviously didn't since he then promptly laid down beside me.

I continued going over my lines and just as I was about to go in, the little doggy was called back. As he got up, I realized he had left me a little gift. I mentioned it to whom I thought was his master, but she promptly turned around and started arguing with another guy as to who was going to pick that up. I was saved from having to tell them "I barely pick up dog poop at home, so I definately won't do it here" by being asked in to audition.

So, good omen or bad omen, I'm not quite sure.

As you know from a previous post, I was to present two contrasting monologues. The first one I had decided to do was a classical piece of restoration theatre. As I mentioned the character name, one of the people in the room immediately recognized the play. Dammit! Of course he knows it, he's British. He's probably also seen many fantastic actresses in this part; heck probably even directed the show, and here I am now filled with insecurities. I pushed those down and started.

And you know what?

It sucked.

Even though this was the monologue I had worked on the most, it felt like I was just saying words and not connecting to them. Plus, since it was a piece of classical theatre, there were a lot of words to say.

On to the second monologue. Since my classical monologue was from a comedy, I didn't really want to do my usual modern monologue, which was also comedic. So at the last minute I quickly memorized a monologue from a play I was somewhat familiar with.

And you know what?

It felt great!

I was really able to connect to this piece about strained family relations. And when my character talked about her grandfather, I actually pictured mine. Maybe it was the French connection I felt to that text, or maybe it was the fact that it was a modern piece... I dunno. I just know that it was wonderful and it really makes me want to put up that show.

At this point, I don't even care if I get cast in something or not, I'm just happy to now have a monologue that can really connect to under my belt.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's some more dog poop that I have to go and avoid picking up :p

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • You must remember nancy: It's terrible bad luck if you don't, when a dog shits next to you before a performance, use it to draw a moustache on yourself...

    Please remember to do so next time it happens.

    E

    By Blogger Ereek, at 11:18 PM  

  • I start to worry about you.

    By Blogger Nancy Kenny, at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home