So you want to be an actor?

Monday, September 18, 2006

Beautiful Words

I've been writing a lot lately, haven't I? I don't even mean just on my blog, although I'm impressed that I managed to spew out something half-way decent every day for a week now. I mean, I've been writing a lot in general.

A few nights ago, as usual, I couldn't get to sleep, so I got out of bed and I started going through old files on my computer. I found some of my old poetry that I had transcribed into a word document. I've always hated typing out poetry because I found deeper satisfaction in being able to see all the notes that I may have crossed out, the thoughts that were running my head, the scribbles in the margins... For me, the journey you can go through with the written word is almost as enjoyable as the end product. So instead, I turned to one of my drawers where I found over half a dozen notebooks filled with said scribbles.

I hadn't touched those books in over 3 or 4 years.

I started wondering why...

When I was in high school and in my first few years of University, I would write all the time. I always carried a notebook with me and a couple pens. Any moment of boredom or solitude became the perfect opportunity to write. You should see all the couplets I've written in various classes. I would have fun making anagrams out of sentences, creating patterns and designs with words, finding new ways rhyme and make my own music out of language. I collected quotes. I loved dictionaries and thesauruses (thesaurie?). I was a big freakin' nerd!

So what happened? Why did I suddenly just stop?

I have a pretty good idea why. I think I've always desperately wanted to be "cool" and a love of dictionaries probably isn't at the top of the list of all things considered cool. So my "priorities" shifted. I occupied myself with other, more appropriate interests. But you know what? I'm not cool. I don't think I will ever be cool. And I think I'm ok with that. You know why? Because I've found something honest and beautiful and real in the written word and I wouldn't trade that for all the coolness in the world. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and increase my vocabulary.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Nancy, the very thing you are doing is what makes you 'cool'.
    So good.
    Stay cool sista.

    love,
    C

    By Blogger Travelling Journals, at 1:52 AM  

  • Also, your words have inspired me to write again. I have written into my 'I'm not Special: A diary by Claudia Jurt' Diary and to catch up on my SADC scenes (I'm at least 13 scenes in debt). Ie: for each day that is missed, 2 scenes must be written for that day.
    Thank you.

    By Blogger Travelling Journals, at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home