So you want to be an actor?

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Awkward Years

Remember puberty?

Well if you're like me, you try and forget every excruciatingly awkward moment of it as quickly as possible. Eventually though, you grow out of it; the ugly duckling becomes a lovely swan (only it took me a lot longer to realize I had become a swan, but that's a story for another day) and for a little while, everything seems right with the world. But then you finish your university years and everything seems disjointed again.

My point is, I'm in an awkward phase again.

Here's a little backstory: In my last post below, I might have jumped to conclusions a bit. You see, once I found out that I hadn't gotten that part I auditioned for, I figured, well that's it. There is nothing else in that show that would be age-appropriate for me to play. Well, it goes to show that you never know because I got a call yesterday morning to come in and read for the lead... the lead who is suppose to be 35 to 40... Are they serious?

Turns out they were. I went in. I gave a good read that I was happy with. They did like me. And they tried really hard to make it work with me in the part ("we could change your hair, use makeup, maybe glasses?" ect ect). But in the end, the age thing was just too much. It's simply too unrealistic for me to play someone in my mid-thirties, especially when the people I would be playing against are much older than I am. There's only so far you can ask the audience to stretch their sense of imagination, I guess.

So this brings me back to my awkward years. I'm too old to play the highschool girl, but I'm too young to play the meaty older roles.

And no, I don't want to be older (There will be plenty of time for that), but it would be nice to be able to find roles that I could actually portray.

I am totally itching for work right now.

Dammit, Claudia is right. I may very well have to create my own. Whether I chose a play that I would like to do or I decide to write my own, I don't know yet. But it's definitely time for me to stop resisting and get some f'ing work done.

Who's with me?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm always with you, Nancy!

    By Blogger Travelling Journals, at 3:15 PM  

  • And...boom...an artist is born.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 AM  

  • Ok, that last one made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    By Blogger Nancy Kenny, at 8:44 AM  

  • Hey, at least when you get older, you'll have years of experience behind you. I was told that getting into acting at my age, there's no way I can compete with all the other women my age that have years of experience behind them. :-)
    I would tell anybody: "You just watch me!".
    Believe in yourself! ... I believe in you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home