So you want to be an actor?

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Learning to Say No

Sometimes I think I'm Superman(girl?). I'm strong and fast, I can do it all and still have a healthy dinner ready, my laundry folded, and my taxes done.
Sometimes I am also incredibly insecure. I don't think I'm good enough as an actor, that any work I get is out of pure luck, and that my last gig really was my last.

A combination of these two factors has made it so that, in the last three years, I've tackled almost every audition that came my way and worked on any and every project that would have me.

A few burnouts and some mild cases of depression later, I've realized that maybe, just maybe, that was not the best way to manage my career and my life.

In the last week or so, I've actually turned down not one but two opportunities to audition for some really great theatre companies in town; two companies that on any given day I would probably kill for (or at the very least, bake banana bread for).
The timing of their shows, however, just doesn't work out with stuff that I either already have on the go or plan on having on the go.

Saying "No" wasn't easy. It took me two days of soul searching for each company before I came to a decision and acknowledging that though I'm not so insecure, I'm also not superhuman. However, in the long run, I know that this decision is the best for me at this moment in my life. And that's what really matters.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Saying "no", from my experience, is probably one of the most difficult things to do. It's also quite satisfying, when you know you've done the right thing! Distinguishing which situations to abstain from, however, is where the real challenge lies. I didn't know you were in acting, and that's actually quite impressive! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours and hoping that your recent choice will provide you the real focus you need to shine!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home