So you want to be an actor?

Monday, July 26, 2004

So it begins...

There are so many times when my head is bursting with thoughts and ideas, but I've never really found a proper place to express myself. I've always toyed with the idea of an internet website to showcase my inner monologues, but even in this information age, html has never been my strong suit. I guess that's why I like the idea of a "blog". Putting my thoughts down becomes a lot easier.

So, why am I talking here? What could I possibly have to say that's of any interest? Nothing really, but this blog is more for myself than it is for anyone else. If you, the reader, happen to get anything out of it, well then, more power to ya!

Basically, I want a space where I can chronicle my trials and tribulations on the road to becoming a professional actor. Now don't get me wrong, I know I wrote the blog description as my "journey on the road to stardom," but that's more of an attention grabber than anything else. I'm not fooling myself. My goal is to make acting a profession from which I can live semi-comfortably, not to be famous (although that would be a nice fringe benefit ;).

**********************************

Well then, let's get started:

Ever since the awkwardness of Junior High, I think that I've always wanted to be an actor.  I was very insecure as a child (still am today... insecure I mean, not a child) and the idea of being able to escape into someone else's life always held great appeal for me.  When I realized that people can actually make a living off of doing this, I knew this was the path for me. 

Having had no drama department at my high school, I knew that I needed a lot more training if I wanted to make it professionally.  That's why I enrolled in Theatre at the University of Ottawa.  After five years of training in general theatre (topics including history, acting, technical theatre, ect.), I finished school with a B.A. and some very nice theatre credits to boot.  However, I did realize one thing, while I feel quite confident and proficient in the field of theatre, I am severely lacking in a few others.  Namely musical theatre, film and television. 

So my education continues.  As an actor, you never really do stop learning or honing your craft and I enjoy the tasks presented before me.  When I have a little more time, I'll be sure to talk about it some more.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home